I Love Fine Italian Wine - A Ruffino Chianti Classico

Monday 24 December 2012


By now you have probably heard that present-day Chianti is not your parent's Chianti in a straw-covered bottle. Ruffino is a major Tuscany wine producer, founded in 1877. Their seven Tuscany vineyards extend over 600 hectares (1500 acres) and they own a vineyard in northeastern Italy. This wine comes from the Santedame Estate not far from Castellina in Chianti, south of Florence and north of Siena. Santedame is also home to three different olive oils, for those who so indulge. Ruffino offers several wine tasting tours. This Chianti Classico DOCG is 80% Sangiovese, 10% Merlot, 5% Colorino (a local red mostly used as a coloring agent), and 5% Canaiolo and Cabernet Sauvignon. Canaiolo is a red grape often used in that old-time Chianti. The companion wine is an IGT (a much lower Italian wine designation) from the unpretentious central Italian Abruzzi region Sangiovese at about half the price.

OUR WINE REVIEW POLICY All wines that we taste and review are purchased at the full retail price.

Wine Reviewed
Ruffino Santedame Chianti Classico DOCG 2008 13 % alcohol about $17.

Let's start with the marketing materials "Tasting Note: Bright ruby. Knockout aromas of violet, blackcurrant and minerals reminded me a little of colorino. Pure and fresh on entry, this lighter-bodied Chianti is packed with red cherry, blackcurrant and mineral flavors. The finishing bright acidity and delicate peppery tannins leave an impression of austerity, but there's plenty of pretty fruit underneath. Score - 89. (Ian D'Agata, International Wine Cellar, July/Aug. 2010) And now for my|healthcare professional|personal|my own, personal|search terms|my own , personal|medical professional|published|health care provider|my business|all of my|of my|excellent|my own personal|keyword phrases|a|offered|economical|day-to-day|web page} review.

At the first sips the wine was long and balanced but thin. Japanese rice crackers rendered its acidity harsh. My initial meal centered on a boxed Baked Ziti Siciliano that I doused with grated Parmesan cheese. Now the wine tasted of tobacco. It was round but I noted some weakness. The accompanying cucumber, tomato, broccoli sprout, red onion, and cilantro salad rendered this drink round with dark cherries. Its tannins were virtually absent.

My|Healthcare professional|Personal|My own, personal|Search terms|My own , personal|Medical professional|Published|Health care provider|My business|All of my|Of my|Excellent|My own personal|Keyword phrases|A|Offered|Economical|Day-to-day|Web page} next meal involved slow cooked beef. Now this Sangiovese et al was round and balanced, but thin and short. The accompanying potatoes sharpened this libation's acidity, an effect that wasn't entirely positive. I tasted chocolate. When it accompanied string beans in tomato sauce the dominant sensation was unbalanced acidity. Adding a generous amount of Louisiana hot sauce to the meat thinned the wine but did bring out some dark cherries.

My|Healthcare professional|Personal|My own, personal|Search terms|My own , personal|Medical professional|Published|Health care provider|My business|All of my|Of my|Excellent|My own personal|Keyword phrases|A|Offered|Economical|Day-to-day|Web page} final meal was not traditional for this kind of red wine. The main component was a baked Atlantic salmon filet marinated in soy sauce, cumin, garlic, black pepper, and Agave. Our Italian friend was short at first but did offer balanced acidity and tannins with some oak. When paired with a delicious home made quiche consisting of cottage cheese, cilantro, Parmesan cheese, and Portabello mushrooms the libation was round with black cherries. The other side dish of eggplant, onions, tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, and Portabello mushrooms stepped up the taste of black cherries and chocolate in my glass.

Final verdict. I won't buy this wine again. In fact they could cut the price in two and I still wouldn't buy it. And not only because I am mad that Ruffino is continuing that old Chianti tradition of putting inferior grapes into the mix.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Your Favorite Kitchen Corner Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino